Capital Area Pride Bowlers 2010-2011 By-Laws
League President: Trixie Starr (a.k.a. Rich Volo) … firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President: Josh Malatino … email@example.com
Secretary: James Martin … firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Matt Magin … email@example.com
1) Capital Area Pride Bowlers is an LGBTQ-friendly bowling league consisting of teams of 4 bowlers each. The league bowls every Sunday night at 6:00 PM at Sportsmans Bowl in Schenectady and will bowl a split season for 24 weeks (12 weeks in each half) beginning on Sunday, September 12, 2010. There will be a three to five week break after the end of the first half in December with the second half to begin shortly after the New Year. During the season there will be four position weeks at the 6th, 12th, 18th and 24th weeks. There will be no bowling on Halloween or the Sunday following Thanksgiving.
2) The management of the league shall be vested in the board of directors which will be made up of the league officers and team captains. Officers will be elected by majority vote before the beginning of each new season. The Secretary and Treasurer of the league will each receive free bowling for the bowling season which will be considered their salary.
3) The amount for bowling will be based on the yearly contract of the bowling center and a league vote on dues to go toward a prize fund. Any changes in league fees shall be voted on by the league. Presently, weekly dues are set at $15.00 of which a certain amount covers the cost of bowling to the bowling center, and remainder goes to the prize fund. All regular league members will be responsible for $15.00 weekly dues regardless of presence, absence, or use of a substitute bowler. Every regular league member’s USBC membership fee will be paid out of the portion of dues collected for the league’s prize fund. Checks will be accepted, given that if any payment by check is dishonored, the member will be responsible for any fees, back dues, and current weekly dues at the time of bowling that week. Any additional dishonored checks will automatically cause member to be cash only until the end of the season.
4) No bowler will be permitted to be more than 1 week (more than $15.00) behind on league dues. If a bowler is more than 1 week behind and is unable to pay the following week, he or she will be prohibited from bowling that week.
5) Both pacers (bowlers whose scores DO NOT count toward any team's scores) and substitutes (bowlers whose scores DO count toward a team's scores) will be used during league play and subject to the following provisions:
A) Any substitute who can provide proof of current USBC membership AND who has a verifiable book average from the previous season in any league will be charged $5.00 per session to sub (scores count toward the team they are subbing for). If these conditions are met, but current USBC membership is outside the Schenectady USBC Association, the "cross-over" membership fee will be collected for the first session and then $5.00 for every further session.
B) Any substitute who has not yet paid the current season's USBC membership, BUT who has a verifiable book average from the previous season will pay $8.50 for their first two sessions (to cover their USBC membership dues) and $5.00 for any subsequent sessions subbing (scores count toward the team they are subbing for).
C) A bowler attempting to substitute who is not a current USBC member AND who has no verifiable book average from the previous season will be charged $8.50 to be a pacer (scores DO NOT count toward any team) for their first two sessions (to cover USBC membership dues AND establish a current average). After two complete sessions of pacing, the bowler is eligible to sub (scores now count) using their current average and at a cost of $5.00 per session.
6) A bowler must complete two-thirds of the games in a half (24 out of 36) to be eligible to receive an individual award for that half (such as high series or high game). Also, a bowler must complete two-thirds of the games in the entire season (48 out of 72) to be eligible to receive an individual award based on whole season results (such as most improved average). An estimated prize fund will be voted upon by the league and will be given to every bowler for review when complete.
7) Team handicaps will be based on 100% of the difference between team average and 700.
8) An individual with an established average, whether from the previous season in this league or a verifiable book average from another league, will use that average until the completion of 3 games. For all new bowlers without an average, average is determined by dividing the total number of pins by the total number of games bowled in their first league session (See USBC Rule 118c) with the resulting average being used for the first 3 games. Entering averages for the 2010-2011 season will be league members' final averages from this league in the Spring 2010 session. If no Spring 2010 average, but there is a Fall 2009 average, that average will be used. Summer 2010 averages will not be used.
9) A late bowler may catch up only if he/she is ready to bowl prior to the completion of the 5th frame of any game.
10) If a member is absent, that member's team will use the missing member’s average minus 10 toward team score for that game. A vacancy position on a team will be assigned a vacancy score of 120. A team must have two bowlers present of which one must be a regular team member in order to have a legal line-up and to avoid a forfeit situation. In a forfeit situation, the non-forfeiting team must bowl within 40 pins of their scratch average to earn the point for each game (and within 120 pins to earn the point for series). The forfeiting team earns no points.
11) Pre-bowling will be allowed as many times as needed as long as the member is in good standing. Pre-bowling must occur under the same conditions as league bowling (i.e.: two lanes with bowler alternating every frame) and a league board member (officer or captain) must be present to witness pre-bowling. Pre-bowling scores must be printed at bowling center and signed by either a team captain or league board member. Bowling scores must be presented to league Secretary prior to bowling of that week. Pre-bowlers are not required to pay bowling center on night of pre bowling, but must be paid upon return to normal league play. Pre-bowling is a privilege provided by the bowling center and therefore is also subject to lane availability at the bowling center.
12) Any rule not written in these by-laws will be decided using the USBC Rule Book. If no rule applies, the final decision is left up to the league President.